Friday, March 15, 2013

Bolivia is friendly to tourists

Clare Sammels at the Gringo Tambo blog makes some excellent points about a recent story on CNN about international tourism and attitudes towards tourists. Although the piece claims to evaluate how friendly individual countries are towards tourists, the size of the group that was surveyed seems small (79 people) and not directly related to the question of what do Bolivians think of tourists, or what do tourists think of Bolivians. This is worth paying attention to, because Bolivia gets so little press attention in the United States that this story could represent everything that many readers will hear about Bolivia. I have never found myself unwelcome as a tourist in Bolivia, and as the years have gone by, I have found that Bolivians have in fact been just as friendly as people in the United States, where I live. Clare is looking into the methodology, (that's three posts by her so far) so stay tuned. I am working on an article about poverty, tourism and archaeology in Bolivia, so I would be interested to hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to read your article on poverty, tourism and archaeology in Bolivia. As a birder with very minimal international travel experience and only a little Spanish, I have felt intimidated by the idea of travelling to Bolivia, but the existence of hiatorical sites is also a tourist draw for me, as is alleviating poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make sure that the article is out for distribution when I get it finished. In the meantime, I would say to look into travel to Bolivia and South America, and take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete